Exciting news: Pembroke has officially moved into the first buildings on the Mill Lane site! On 15th February, three departments moved into the building formerly known as Kenmare House, immediately opposite the Porter’s Lodge on Trumpington Street. The Master moved into his new office at 1 Mill Lane just before Easter; he has a fantastic view over the medieval College site.
We are proud to say that the Pembroke crest is now on the Mill Lane site, for good.
The Master’s Office, with views down Trumpington Street towards King’s Parade, and also over the medieval College site
View from the Master’s Office, looking down Trumpington Street towards King’s Parade
View from the roof of 1 Mill Lane, over the medieval College site
View from the roof of 1 Mill Lane
Mill Lane provides the opportunity for the most significant expansion
of the College since our Foundation.
Foundress Court is currently home to the Henry Moore sculpture
Figure in a Shelter (1983).
New Court was designed by George Gilbert Scott Junior, who was also
responsible for saving the Old Library from demolition in 1880.
Alfred Waterhouse designed the Library, Red Buildings and the present Hall.
The Hitcham Building, on the south side of Ivy Court, contains the
Thomas Gray Room, where poet Thomas Gray and William Pitt the Younger both lived.
Pembroke’s Chapel is the first completed work of Sir Christopher
Wren, and the first chapel in Cambridge or Oxford in the classical style.
On Christmas Eve 1347, the College was founded by Marie de St Pol.
The historic core of the College still stands on its original site.